Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Masquerade

Could I interest sir in a Guy Fawkes mask?

When it comes to Halloween costumes, they're rather like any other milestone in a person's life, as that you never forget the first. In my case, the first Halloween costume that I can recall Bozo the Clown, which basically consisted of a loose-fitting nylon jumpsuit that tied at the back of the neck (so I could slip it on over a layer of clothes, natch) which thoughtfully had "Bozo the Clown" emblazoned across the chest so adults would know what the heck I was dressed up as, and a molded plastic mask, complete with Bozo's iconic Pippi-Longstocking-meets-Ben-Franklin hairdo.

Mind you, I don't recall ever being a major fan of Bozo. Looking back on it now, the only things I can clearly recall about the show is the bucket toss and that he had a sidekick named Cookie, so it's kind of a mystery as to why I had this costume in the first place (I'm thinking it was a gift from my grandparents. It's the only rational explanation I can come up with.)

But the thing that strikes me the most about that costume is that it was the only one I ever wore that came with a mask. This is probably because that mask annoyed the stuffing out of me. If it wasn't the chafing of the elastic band, it was the condensation on the inside of the mask from my breathing. I think I made it halfway around the block before I gave up and just pushed the darn thing up and off my face. Add that to the fact that my jacket covered up the "Bozo the Clown" business on the chest, and the whole costume was a major bust.

After that, we didn't really get into masks on Halloween. Oh, I wore more face paint than Dee Snider of Twisted Sister ever did, but never again did I wear a mask.

So how's about looking at some masks? As an added bonus, I don't think a single one of them comes with an irritating elastic band.


This bronze-colored mask makes me think of Dave McKean's art designs; it looks cool, yet somehow slightly unsettling.

That's probably because it looks like it'd scrape the crap out of the roof of my car, but whatever.


...Did anyone else get Adam Ant's "Kings Of The Wild Frontier" stuck in their head when looking at this mask? I hope it's not just me.


Originally, I was wondering whether or not I was going to include this mask in today's post, but then I saw the following:


This would be Erika Moen, most infamously known for her comic DAR: A Super Girly Top Secret Comic Diary (which has a habit of being NSFW, so be careful with the clicking,) wearing a custom-made octopus mask made by the very same dude who made the phoenix mask.

So, yeah. You get to see both, and you can see more at Phillip Valdez's site.


As a palate-cleanser, this little mask does a pretty good job. It's not as fancy as the prior masks, but it's still pretty snazzy.

And finally, for those who prefer something simple when it comes to masks:


Maro Designs is pretty much an entire shop of felt costume pieces attached to sticks. Because--as the slogan states--everything is better on a stick, and after having pored over the shop, I can't really argue with their logic.

Also, I want the pirate set. Just sayin'.

See you Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! This pics are really looking pretty nice and cools.........

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails